Sunday, August 30, 2009

Kicking Depression, ROUND TWO!

Round one of kicking depression was when I went to therapy. That helped. They finally said, "You're doing great! You have all the coping skills you need and I don't know what else to teach you." So I left therapy.

I'm not as miserable as I've been at other points in my life, but I know I can do better than I'm doing. So. We have...

Kicking Depression, Round Two! Bibliotherapy!

In one corner, we have Cat, with her newly acquired book "Feeling Good" by David Burns. It's the most recommended self help book EVER. It's been clinically tested to work better than just putting people on anti-depressants. So we're gonna use it to punch out depression's lights. Mwaha.

In the other corner we have the stupid thoughts in Cat's brain that drive her crazy, such as "You and everything you do are worthless/pointless."

Ready, set, GO!

Each day I'm going to do a bit out of the book. Today I read the introduction and chapter 1.

Chapter one states that our moods/emotions are caused by our thoughts. And that using this book to help change our thoughts (cognitive therapy) to more positive things will help us feel better.

Stay tuned for round two! (I'm counting this post for Saturday's post, even though it's 1 a.m. on Sunday morning.)

No comments: